Standing over the bulk bins of my local Whole Foods, I decided to do something I wanted to do for a long time. I grabbed a scoop, reached in, and gathered up a ton of green lentils. Because lentils are a stellar source of plant-based protein, I’ve always wanted to be a lentil person. I’ve always liked the way they taste in vegetable soup and other dishes, but until recently, I didn’t know how to cook them for myself. Now that I do, I’m ready to share some of my favorite lentil recipes with you.
1. Sweet Potato Lentil Quinoa Meatloaf- Sweet potatoes + lentils + quinoa = a superfood vegan meatloaf that’s sure to tickle your tastebuds on multiple levels. The complementary flavors of sweet potato and lentil will be hearty and fulfilling, making it the perfect meal to make on a Monday and eat all week long.
2. Lentil Mushroom Walnut Balls with Cranberry-Pear Sauce- If you’re ready to go all out for a special occasion (or even just a Tuesday), these lentil balls are the perfect way to indulge in healthy gourmet goodness. The perfect balance of sweet and savory meets in this dish, making it a delicious treat for any night of the week.
3. Lentil Meatballs- If you’re a lentil newbie, like myself, here’s a simple lentil meatball recipe to help ease yourself into the lentil lifestyle.
Instead of frying the meatballs as the recipe suggests, I baked mine in the oven at 350 for twenty minutes. After the first ten, I turned each meatball over to let it brown on another side. I paired the lentil meatballs with some spiralized zucchini and spaghetti sauce.
These lentil balls would also make a delicious and hearty filling for a vegan meatball sub! The possibilities are (almost) endless!
4. Lentil Curry- Add some spice to your life with this Indian-inspired lentil dish. This recipe is not for the faint of heart, however, as it contains an entire tablespoon of curry powder. Pair this lentil curry with some naan for a healthy and hearty lunch or dinner.
5. Lentil Sloppy Joes- After seeing this recipe, I know it will be my next lentil adventure. I haven’t had a sloppy joe in years, and this version is sure to help me remember the spoils of childhood while fueling a healthy adult life.
What are some of your favorite lentil recipes?